Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Oh the sweet smell of fall

Many people's favorite season is fall. Why is that?  I believe part of it is relief.  It's kind of like the world is taking in a deep breath and saying "ok, we made it through the heat of summer." It is the in-between time of the summer activities as we look in expectation to the holidays.  For a lot of people it is the time to go back to school-as students or teachers, or people are getting back into a routine after traveling for vacations or weddings.

Living in Florida I have experienced seasons in a whole new way.  Essentially here there are NO seasons.  When you look out your window- no matter what time of year, it always looks the same.  There are no fall leaves. There is no snow. There is no burst of color in spring time.  Palm trees always sway in the breeze, and there are always people tanning at the beach.  Yes, the temperature does change, slightly, but in such a small amount that as soon as people aren't sweating-it is time for boots, scarves, hats, and all the fall fashion emerges- even if it is 70 degrees.  Since I didn't grow up in Florida-this is still new to me.  As soon as it technically is the next season (whether it SEEMS like it here or not), I crave every seasonal thing there is.  It is like I have to scrape together every possible experience and tradition there is to be able to feel like that new season is actually here.  If it's fall I want pumpkin spice lattes every day. I make pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin cupcakes, apple crisp and butternut squash soups.  I decorate the house with fake fall leaves and pumpkins (because real ones just rot instantaneously here). It is almost like I am living in a false sense of reality, and I have to do everything I can to remind myself what is actually happening around the world so it doesn't slip by unnoticed.

Many of my favorite memories growing up have to do with holidays, celebrations, birthdays and traditions.  Decorating for every holiday, spending 3 days baking Christmas cookies with my mom every year, carving pumpkins, building gingerbread houses, driving to see Christmas lights, cutting down Christmas trees, caroling, cookouts in summer and pool parties, picking up confetti for hours while watching the Rose Parade.  These are memories I cherish, because they were spent with the people I love the most.  My parents always made us feel special on our birthdays and even though we weren't rich, the quality of time is always more important and memorable than the quantity of gifts.  

I know every family celebrates holidays and birthdays differently.  I try not to judge people who celebrate them differently, especially if they don't really celebrate at all.  However, I think it is important to do things together as a family and to let each other know that they are special and that you care about them-whatever your personal traditions may be.  Everyone in my family loves to eat just as much as we love to cook, so when we get together, we do just that- eat and cook and share with each other the new things we have learned to make.  You don't have to be wealthy to spend time together and make your own family traditions. There are so many free and inexpensive things to do together that will stay with you forever and create wonderful memories, as I have.  Driving through neighborhoods to see Christmas lights is free.  Carving pumpkins or dying Easter eggs together is a few dollars.  Making Christmas cookies and giving them to neighbors and friends as presents is pretty inexpensive.  But the memories made are priceless.  If you choose to spend time together as a family in different ways than we do- that is fine.  But please make the time to do something together and make your own traditions and memories.

In our world of technology and with everyone being so busy all the time, it is is easy for the days and months and seasons to just slip on by without notice.  We must make a conscious decision to slow down, put down our iPhones and tablets and spend time with the people we love the most.  Working in the ER is a constant reminder to me how fragile life is.  No one knows what tomorrow will bring, so today lets spend it drinking coffee with a friend, frosting cupcakes with some kids, or walking the beach at sunrise with your husband- which is just how I plan on spending my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment